Any woman who desires Kylie Jenner’s bee-stung lips or Rihanna’s wrinkle-free face can have either or both, thanks to cosmetic surgery or a trip to the spa.
But sometimes the procedures can be fatal.
The leading cosmetic surgical procedure in the U.S. in recent years has been breast augmentation — with 286,000 performed in 2014 alone, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Botox injections were the top cosmetic procedure done without the use of a knife in 2014, with 6.7 million willing participants.
“Keeping up with The Kardashians” star, 18-year-old Kylie Jenner, has admitted to having lip fillers.
But each treatment comes with a risk, and occasionally people have died as a result of cosmetic procedures.
Here are some of the most known cases:
Adriana Porras, a 32-year-old former resident of Nanuet, L.I., died two days after a liposuction procedure in 2009.
The cause of Porras’ death was from a pulmonary embolism, which was caused by a blood clot in her lung.
Porras’ surviving husband and children received $2.3 million, after settling a lawsuit against the operating surgeon, Dr. Sharon Giese.
In June, South Indian actress and New Jersey native Aarthi Agarwal was pronounced dead in the AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, officials said.
The 31-year-old was recovering from liposuction surgery, but a month after the procedure suffered from a heart attack directly related to the procedure.
A Bronx woman died after a botched butt injection in August.
Blanche Barnwell, 40, perished from an embolism, was caused by the butt enhancement surgery, the Daily News first reported last month.
Also, in June, Maryland-native Kelly Mayhew — a BET Networks freelancer — passed away after getting silicone butt injections in the basement of a Queens building in May.
34-year-old Kelly Mayhew (left) after getting a butt lift in the basement of a Queens apartment on Saturday, May 30, 2015.
The doctor was believed to have fled to England after the fatal procedure, The News reported last month.
Dr. Matthew Schulman, a certified plastic surgeon with 10 years of experience, warns of the dangers that can come from having any cosmetic surgery done to the body, especially in the case of butt augmentation.
“Only fat should be injected into the buttock. Any synthetic material, such as silicone, hydrogel, or any other fillers, can cause infection and foreign body reaction,” Schulman said.
On Oct. 20, a Las Vegas spa employee, Chelsea Patrica Ake-Salvacion, was found topless and frozen from her last cryotherapy session in the spa, Rejuvenice.
Chelsea Ake-Salvacion, 24, died after getting stuck in a cryochamber at Rejuvenice in Henderson, Nevada.
The coroner’s office in Clark County, Nevada, ruled the woman’s death as a result of low oxygen levels within the liquid nitrogen chamber she used to submerge her body.
Celebrities, such as Demi Moore, praise whole-body cryotherapy, a treatment for the body linked to relieving pain and improving sleep patterns.
In 1999, Lorraine Batt died three days after undergoing abdominoplasty surgery, otherwise known as a tummy tuck.
Although Batt was no stranger to the operating table, having a caesarean section performed on her stomach previously, the mother fell into a coma after her tummy tuck was completed, The Telegraph reported.
The specific effect of Batt’s coma post-surgery is unknown, but some of its sources are due to a stroke, loss of oxygen, infection, toxins, tumors or stroke, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Rapper Kanye West’s mother, Donda West, also died after receiving not only a tummy tuck, but also liposuction and breast reduction surgery in 2007.
Dr. Stephan Scroggins, the doctor who operated on West, claims that he was not at fault for the botched surgery.
The coroner’s report details “vomiting and medication use for pain” as two factors that contributed to her death.
Florida-native Stephanie Kuleba, a high school senior, died after going into a Boca Raton outpatient cosmetic surgery clinic for breast augmentation surgery.
Investigators later ruled that Kuleba died from a bad reaction to the anesthesia used for the procedure.
There is a high risk for infection when any foreign materials, such as silicone, are injected into the body.
Anna West, a 21-year-old Cardiff University student, died in 2001 from skin cancer caused by excessive tanning.
A mole found on West’s back, a result of religious sunbathing, grew into melanoma, which eventually spread to her brain, liver and lungs.
“I knew there was a connection between the sun and skin cancer, but it didn’t stop me,” West told The Telegraph before her death.
Cosmetic surgeons, like Dr. Mitchell Chasin, Medical Director of the Reflections Center for Skin and Body in New Jersey, believe that indoor and outdoor tanning, are particularly dangerous.
“High-pressure tanning beds and those that work to accelerate the tanning process increase the radiation exposure of tanning,” Chasin said.